Tuesday 3 September 2013

Leaving London and keeping in touch

At the beginning of the beginning of the year Megan and I had our first child Emily and moved to Bedford. This sounds more severe than it actually was, the commute down from Bedford to Kings Cross is only around 40 minutes. It's been a busy 6 months since then working on multiple projects with Stackthread, getting promoted to Vice President at the firm and as you can imagine not too much sleep.

As a family, we have decided to take a step which will involve us spending a lot more time together - but sadly means that I will be leaving London as a work hub. Having just completed major project milestones at the bank I work for, I decided it was time for a change of roles and found an exciting opportunity in Milton Keynes. From a personal perspective this also cuts down a 2 hour commute (each way to Canary Wharf) to 20 minutes, and reduces my outgoing costs on expensive rail tickets.

This has left me with many decisions to make about what projects to keep working on in London and how to keep in touch with specifically the London Java Community and the London Java Community Process Committee. For now, I'm not going to make any rash decisions and see how things pan out in terms of time available and what I realistically commit to. With ever limited time, I am trying not to spread my contributions too thinly and want to ensure that whatever I do chose to work on in the next few years has a solid impact.

Currently, I next plan to be in London on:

  • 29th-30th October for JAX London.
  • One Saturday towards the end of November for the LJC Open Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment